Acute pain is usually of recent onset, goes away, and usually from an identifiable cause (injury, strain, etc). Chronic or persistent pain can be described as ongoing or recurrent pain, lasting beyond the usual illness or injury recovery, stretching into months of discomfort and causing lifestyle changes. Chronic or persistent pain has also been called pain that continues when it should not. With the development of sophisticated delivery systems, pain management regimens can be safely and conveniently administered in the comfortable surroundings of the patients’ own home.
Our pharmacy team coordinates efforts with you, your family member or caregiver, and your physician to make sure your pain management therapy meets your specific needs.
Common diagnoses for home IV pain management:
- Advanced cancer, AIDS, end-stage disease states
- Low back pain, neck pain, chronic headaches
- Arthritis rheumatism, TMJ
- Post-surgical pain
- Other conditions resulting in severe, chronic pain
- Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA) and other forms of continuous infusion provide the patient with safe and reliable methods of self-administration.
- Bolus dose capability is available in addition to continuous PCA.
- A variety of permanent or temporary access routes are available – including intravenous, subcutaneous, epidural, and intrathecal.
Advantages of home IV pain management:
- Patients are more comfortable, often recover fast and experience fewer complications.
- Home IV therapy costs considerably less than hospital-administered therapy.
- Enhanced quality of life: Patients of home IV therapy are able to enjoy routine activities, hobbies, and in many cases, are able to return to work.